Sunday, March 2, 2014

Temperature effects with PLA printing

I did to a small degree experimenting with temperature and PLA printing last Apr (2013) once building the metropolis - and it's like I entirely forgot to post a web log article regarding it!
I found the images these days, and you'll notice it fascinating, therefore here is what I keep in mind regarding the experiment and method -

Last year after I did not manage to urge hold of any Laywood for testing, i made a decision to ascertain what impact temperature had on PLA once it's written swimmingly at a controlled rate. I at random hand-picked Blue and Brown PLA and additionally used Natural (clear) as a sway as i used to be positive that may show additional obvious external variations with a amendment in temperature.

First take a look at was simply a straightforward amendment from printing at 192 Degrees C (lower section) then ever-changing to 198 Degrees C (upper section)

I thought it would be neat to do a gradient impact, this can be merely a amendment in extrusion temperature by + or - one degree C each ~3 layers over regarding twenty layers.
 

I tried identical gradual gradient with Brown, that shows up a gradual amendment from matt to shiny because the temperature will increase. (camera cannot very show it well)

This truly did not work as I had unreal. it's higher than the icon shows, the camera isn't able to acquire the gradient okay and you furthermore mght get a wierd optical impact as you progress round the object, quite fascinating.
 

You primarily get a additional obvious impact with a pointy amendment in extrusion temperature, here higher than the matt bands square measure one hundred ninety Degrees C and also the shiny square measure two hundred.

The speed is additionally necessary for a decent amendment, I found running at 80mm/sec or quicker was regarding optimum for this PLA and a J-head MK5 Extruder nozzle.
A mixture of gradual activity over variety of layers and sharp changes turn out some very nice finishes.

To help choose the bands I did create atiny low script to post method the G-code, however sadly this looks to own gone missing from my files.

If I do {any additional|any longer|from now on|any further|to any extent further} with this method i could turn out a more friendly program to permit shades and stripes to be drawn on the Gcode, unless anyone else needs to supply one thing to try to to that.
Printing in PLA - simply a activity - nothing else. (the model is custom MakeALot Bud jar btw)

Purple colors additionally appear to figure exceptionally well for this impact.

I additionally destroyed one in every of these vases at the time to ascertain if the temperature created any obvious variations to bonding strength. I couldn't notice any distinction whereas rending and splitting the various temperature written areas.

Let Maine recognize if you are attempting something like this, or with alternative materials (it clearly works well with Laywood), i am positive alternative clear PLA's and even PET (Taulman t-glase or Coloutfabb_XT) would additionally show this impact too.

Next time I do that i will additionally attempt one walled 'spiral vase' print with temperature changes, I imagine that ought to look terribly neat.